Wednesday, November 30, 2011

One night at Midnight Sun Antique Auction

Last night was the monthly Midnight Sun Auction, and I went to see what I could score on the cheap. The place was full of the usual suspects, and 300 lots of fine junkery. It was one of those nights that nothing excited me very much, meaning there were no "have to have" items for me. In those cases, my strategy is to pick-off somewhat interesting items for the opening bid price; if I don't get it, no big deal. Here was my take:


From top left, clockwise: Hand-painted Japanese vase, real elephant ivory elephant (with poorly repaired trunk that my restorer will make perfect, and missing tusks), a mini tackle-box of trade beads many of which are real turquoise, an unsmokes meerschaum cheroot holder in the original case (lacking a stem which I will have made by my pipe repairman). All of this rests on a nice signed etching of Norte Dame, most likely a tourist piece from the 1960's, but nicely executed. Total cost was $137 including buyer's premium. I will have to invest a couple hundred more to make everything more attractive, but overall I think it's not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment