Friday, December 2, 2011

On Antique Binoculars

Yesterday at the auction there was tons of stuff I wanted, but most of it went out of my comfort level. Some people get carried away at auctions, but I try to stick to my budget. For instance, there was a really nice brass fire extinguisher that I wanted, but it went for $150 (plus fees). Rather than duke it out, I did an eBay search, and it turns out they are readily available, most for under $100, some under $50. Needless to say, I'll be buying one on eBay for a fraction of the auction price. This time my lesson learned the easy way.

I did manage to bag a couple of lots of vintage binoculars, and another antique lap desk (writing slope):


The lap desk is really cool because it's one of the ones with the built-in stand, and it's quite large (10"x20"). It does have a few cosmetic condition issues, but I'm going to try to sell it as-is (~$500); if it doesn't move, I'll have it restored (cost of restoration $200, increases value to $800-1000 but makes it harder to sell).


Binoculars are an interesting bunch, because they can range in value from $20 to $1000. Leica and Zeiss binoculars top the scale at I got this lot for around $1000 per pair, then in the mid $500 range you have top end Japanese brands like Nikon and Canon. The next tier down are military binoculars from World War 2 like the US Navy Mark 33 that got in the $150-250 range. Down below that is what I got.


Clockwise from top left: 
  • Lichter 7x50. Nice binocs made in Japan in the 60's with a German sounding name. Value  $75-100.
  • Bushnell Rangemaster 7x35. 11ยบ Field of view, superior quality, all metal construction. Value about $125. A really excellent pair of glasses, I might keep these for myself.
  • Tasco 7x35. Entry level Japanese glasses. Value $25.
  • Lamaire Paris opera glasses with case. Mother of pearl and brass, 99.5% original condition. Value $125-150.
  • Busch-Stellux Prisma-Binocle 6x. Made in Germany, imported by Paul Meyrowitz Fifth Ave & 36th Street New York, circa 1910. Value $100.
In all it turned out to be a good lot and should easily bring $400. Not a bad haul, shouldn't bee too hard to get money back out.

No comments:

Post a Comment